History of the Wilson Woman's Club
Admitted to N.C.F.W.C. 1916
Charter members 145 (1914)
Current Membership 125
Wilson Woman’s Club- Early History
Marked by a rich history & hopeful future, early women met on a front porch to discuss the possibility of forming a club. The enthusiastic women then went around in pairs to their neighbors and friends to invite them to join in a planning meeting at the Wilson County Courthouse.
By May of 1915, the bylaws had been written and the club had been established. The first three departments within the club were Civic, Literature, and Home Economics, where women could participate in the programs and learn from informative speakers.
In its early days, ladies tackled initiatives regarding a library and school lunches. Members worked to secure better drainage in the town and, for about 100 years now, the Wilson Woman’s Club has been dedicated to bettering the community, participating in worthy causes and promoting cultural activities.
The lot where the current clubhouse sits on Broad Street was purchased in 1924, and the building was completed the following year.
The beautiful two-story brick structure, designed by local architect Solon B. Moore, has seen only a few changes and additions over the years and remains a popular space for weddings, receptions and other events.
“It’s beautiful,” said Lee. “It’s like a home.” The clubhouse is a historic landmark and remains “the only surviving early 20th century building constructed as a club house in the city,” according to the city of Wilson.
First Library - Wilson Woman’s Club Led the Way
One of the projects most associated with the Wilson Woman’s Club was the establishment of a public library.
Although the Wilson Library Association has been organized as early as 1899, by the early 1920s, the subscription library was no longer in service.
Inspired by Mrs. Ashe Hines, chairwoman of the literature department, and Mrs. H.G. Connor II, the club’s president, the Wilson Woman’s Club undertook the opening of a library in its club building on Pine Street in 1921.